Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Up....

Last weekend I went to visit Nancy and we saw the movie "Up." This movie really spoke to me. As most of you know, I will be turning 30 in just 10 short days. I'm handling this upcoming milestone much better than I thought I would. There's been no crying, wailing, or gnashing of teeth. I'm not dressing all in black. I haven't retreated from the world and holed myself up in my apartment, eating Ben & Jerry's and never getting out of my pajamas. I'm okay with turning 30. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm so happy right now. My life isn't what I thought it would be at this point, but it's pretty damn good. "Up" really made me realize that my life may not be the adventure that I had planned, but it's still an adventure and I'd better get with the program and enjoy it.
When I was 18 (was that really so long ago?), I filled out one of those senior memory books that asks you where you want to be in 10 years. I had a plan. I was a girl who knew what she wanted. I would meet the love of my life during college, marry him shortly after graduating, immediately begin having kids, and live somewhere (anywhere) other than Franklin County.
That's not what has happened. I didn't meet Mr. Right in college. I didn't even date all that much. I did, however, make some life-long friends, travel, do lots of fun stuff, and even managed to learn a few things, too. I loved college and had a great time and I wouldn't change anything about it.
I didn't get married right after college, or even yet. I've dated some great guys (and some not so great ones) and I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I have to be myself: that changing to fit what you think someone else wants just doesn't work. I learned that I am more independent and self-reliant than I thought I could be. I still want to get married, but I'm glad that I didn't do it when I was younger. I would have been a terrible wife. I think my chances of having a successful marriage are greater now than they would have been eight years ago.
I don't have kids. That is such a good thing. There are days when it's all I can do to take care of myself and my dog. When I was younger I wanted lots of kids. I also went through a phase when I didn't want any kids. Now I want to have one child (maybe two, but probably just one). I was much too selfish to have kids before this point in my life.
While I don't live in Franklin County, I do work there. I wanted to get out of Franklin County. I thought that was the one thing in my life that I could accomplish, but here I am, making the drive to Louisburg every day. I love teaching at Louisburg High School. My students are challenging but I love them and I think they need me. I love my job and wouldn't change it for anything. I want to make a career there.
Now 30 is here and I've been thinking about how things have turned out. I have friends that are amazing and that I've known since childhood. I have friends that are new that I love so much. I have an amazing job that I know I was meant for. I have a family that is wonderful and loves me. I have an apartment that I've finally finished decorating. I have a dog that is the cutest and sweetest dog in the whole world. I am dating a wonderful man that makes me very happy.
My life isn't what I'd hoped it'd be when I was 18 years old. It's so much better.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, what an uplifting post (no pun intended)! 30 is not so bad - I've been there for two whole months now! :D

    ReplyDelete