Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, July 3, 2009

30 Reasons I'm Happy to be Turning 30...


So 30 is now only 9 days away and I'm handling this transition really well. As I mentioned before, I think it's because I'm so happy with my life right now. So I've decided to list 30 reasons I'm happy to be turning 30. I'm not going to finish the list today. I'll be 30 for 365 days. Surely over the course of the year there will be more reasons to be happy about being 30. And, let's face it, 30 is a lot of reasons. I'll revisit this list as my 30th year progresses. Today I'll start with 3.
1. I know who I am. In the past I've tried to be other people. The person some guy wanted me to be. The girl that my best friend was. Now, I'm just me. And I'm comfortable with that. There are things that I really like about me and those would disappear if I tried to be someone else. It's taken me 30 years to figure this out.
2. I know that my happiness comes from me, not things outside of me. Yesterday I had lunch with Steve and he ordered hash brown casserole, which he proceeded to cover in ketchup. I said "It already has cheese in it!" He told me that the ketchup was just a continuation of the goodness started with the cheese. That's how I think happiness should work. I'm the hash brown casserole. I already have good stuff going on. The outside stuff is the ketchup. The casserole is good without it, but it's a continuation of the goodness.
3. I've learned to accept my body. Is my body perfect? Far from it. I know that I need to lose weight. I know that I can do it, I've done it before. Am I going to waste time hating myself because of it? No. Life it too short for that. I can try to improve myself without self-loathing. There are things that I like about myself. I like my eyes. I like my smile. I've learned to appreciate what I have without being complacent.
So here are the first 3. Stay tuned, there are 27 more to come!
August 24, 2009: Reason #4
4. I have overcome the need to have any sort of drama in my life. As a high school teacher I know that young girls (and some boys) live for drama. And so do some of their mamas. I am at a place in my life where I believe that the less drama I have in my life the better. I talk to adults all the time who are always in the midst of a crisis. Well, I don't want that in my life at all. I like it when life is simple. I don't like chaos and fuss and disorder. (Why do I teach high school?) I went to a friend for advice about a difficult decision and he told me not to pray for an answer but for peace and it turned out to be great advice. I now ask God for peace in whatever situation I am faced with and it has made the biggest change in my attitude and mindset. Is it God answering my prayer? I think so, but I also think it's me reminding myself that I don't have control over everything so I have to find peace with it. It's me and God working together to figure stuff out. So, in short, if you want to talk about drama go talk to someone else!

1 comment: