Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April is the cruelest month...

This year I have found that T.S. Eliot knew what he was talking about when he said "April is the cruelest month." (It's the first line from "The Waste Land" if anyone is interested.) Now, nothing truly terrible has happened to me this month, just a series of annoying incidents, that combined, make for a month that is, at best, a comedy of errors.
On Sunday the 5th, while driving home from date #2 (which was really fun!) I was rear-ended by a guy who was tailgating and not paying attention. Luckily, Gracie and I were uninjured, but Betsy (by cute little Corolla) didn't fare quite as well. She's been in the shop for over two weeks now getting a new rear. The rental car that I have been driving (a Grand Prix) has been problematic. Today I had to return it to the rental agency because a warning light came on for the second time. And the driver's door locked when I got out to put gas in it. The other doors were unlocked, but I didn't find this out until there was already a patrolman there trying to unlock the door. Talk about feeling like an idiot! The rental agency gave me a new car, which I'm totally in love with (a Toyota 4Runner) and of course, my car is scheduled to be done tomorrow. Just my luck.
On the Sunday after the car accident I awoke in the middle of the night with the most painful acid reflux of my life. The next morning my throat was swollen nearly shut from the irritation and I was in pain every time I swallowed. Luckily, I am fine, but that was an annoying way to start my spring break. Not to mention I spent $50 dollars at the Urgent Care getting a diagnosis: there's nothing we can do for you.
On Monday I was in the middle of teaching my English II class (sophomores) when I sat down on my stool and crack...bam. The stool broke and I came crashing to the floor, hitting my head on the radiator behind me. I opened my eyes to see 20 15 year olds, mouths agape, eyes bulging, waiting to see if I was alive. Luckily, having been clumsy for my entire life, I'm used to these things, so I said "I'm okay, you can laugh." Luckily (again), my sophomores, while a chatty bunch, are great kids. They asked me if I was okay and didn't laugh (too much). Now, two days later, I still have a sore knot on the back of my head, which makes styling my hair every morning a painful experience.
Again, none of these things are horrible, they are just annoying. I guess it's better to have a series slightly annoying incidents than one really huge terrible accident, so I'm trying to be thankful for that. I just want this month (or at least my streak of bad luck) to be over!

1 comment: