Wedding Countdown Ticker

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Today the weather is so lovely. It's 70 degrees, the sun is shining, and there's a nice breeze blowing. It seems like just last week we were trapped inside because of snow and ice. Wait a minute, that was just last week. I know this weather isn't going to last but I am going to enjoy it while it's here. And I'm going to use this nice spring-like weather to motivate me to do a little spring cleaning. And I'm not just talking about my house- although that certainly needs it. As part of living a more full and enjoyable life, there's some life spring cleaning that I need to do, too. As I'm sure you've noticed, dear reader, I am fond of making lists. Here's another one, of the spring cleaning I hope to accomplish this year.
1. Emotional: I need to tell the people in my life that are important to me that I love them. I don't think this is something I do often enough. We all have people that we tell we love them all the time, but there are some, whom we love just as much, that we never tell. I am going to make an effort to tell the people in my life how I feel about them more often. I am also going to work to forgive those people I've been holding a grudge against. Nothing is gained by harboring bad feelings towards another person, except lots of stress and worry lines on your face, and Lord knows I don't need any more of either of those. I am going to let go of old grudges and move on. It will make me a happier and more contented person.
2. Physical: I have got to get my ass moving. Every week I think "This is the week I'll really do it." and then I don't. I have got to change that. Not just because I don't like what I see in the mirror, but also because I don't like the way I feel. I was so much happier in a smaller body and lately I've been missing the feeling of exercising. I have to break the hold that food has over me and begin to live my best life, which doesn't include eating copious amounts of food. (And, I have lots of cute skinny clothes in my closet, just taunting me!)
3. Career: I love my job so much. Even on the worst day teaching I am happier than I was on my best day working in a cubicle. I love working with the kids, I love talking to them and being a part of such a great time in their lives. Some of them, however, drive me absolutely crazy. I have a hard time understanding students who come to school and refuse to do anything except be mean to their classmates and sleep. I've been looking for ways to motivate them: games, activities, puzzles, videos, and nothing is working. I've got to find some way to get to them. Or find a way to deal with the stress that their apathy causes me. I want the best for them and I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that they don't seem to want the best for themselves.
4. Social: I feel a little like a fraud. The point of this blog has been to chronicle me getting out of my house and enjoying my life. I haven't really done a lot of that lately. I can blame it on the Boards (which are almost done! Yay!) but let's face it: I am a homebody by nature. I have found a few things that I enjoy and hope to do more of. I found a book club at a local book store that is fun, and a singles book club that I want to try. I'm planning to try to find more activities that interest me and fit who I am instead of trying to change who I am to fit into an activity. There is life outside of my apartment and I am slowly but surely finding it!
Well, there it is. The things I need to clean up this spring (in addition to my apartment, which sure is dusty at the moment!) Let's all use this spring to make some changes in our life that we have been putting off for a long time. There's no better time than now!

No comments:

Post a Comment