Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, March 13, 2009

Movies that make me happy

I've been in a funk this week: moping around, feeling down in the dumps. It's now Friday and I don't want to spend my weekend doing the same thing. One thing that cheers me up is a good movie. Since I love lists, here's a list of movies that never fail to drive my blues away.
1. Sense & Sensibility: I love the scene when Emma Thompson realizes that Hugh Grant isn't married. It's one of the best scenes ever.
2. Love Actually: 5 words: "To me, you are perfect."
3. Steel Magnolias: I know, this seems like an odd choice for a cheer me up movie, but this movie is genuinely funny and who doesn't need a good cry every now and then? And I've learned that there is no circumstance in the world in which a quote from this movie isn't appropriate.
4. 10 Things I Hate About You: There are more than 10 things I love about this movie. It's sweet and funny, and it always makes me smile.
5. Never Been Kissed: Socially awkward girl falls for hunky English teacher who falls for her back. Love it.
6. Singing In the Rain: Who doesn't love a good musical? This is one of my favorites. Every time I watch this I'm singing "Good mornin', good mornin', we've talked the whole night through..." for days.
7. West Side Story: While we're talking about musicals, this one is another one of my favorites. I know, I know, he dies, but there are such good songs for singing along to..."I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and bright, and I pity any girl who isn't me tonight." Wonderful.
8. Pretty Woman: Isn't this every girl's fantasy? Well, maybe not the prostitution part, but definitely Richard Gere (or some rich handsome guy, possibly George Clooney?) coming to whisk you away from all your problems.
9. Little Miss Sunshine: This movie makes me laugh so hard every single time I see it, and I watch it a lot. She's adorable, her family is insane, and I love Steve Carell- he is playing the number one Proust scholar in the US, after all.
10. The Holiday: Two messed up girls find love and friendship. Who can't relate to one of these girls? (By the way, I'm totally Kate Winslet's character.)
11. Notting Hill: "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her" and "To June who loved this garden from Joseph who always sat beside her." So sweet! So romantic!
Therapy is expensive. Renting a movie or watching one you already own is cheap. The weather is going to be cold and nasty this weekend. Curl up on your couch with a blanket, the dog, and the remote control and watch one of your favorite pick-me-up movies. If you're looking for me, that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment