Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Things to be thankful for...



I don't want anyone to think that I hate my life or am ungrateful for all the wonderful people and things I have in it. I know what a lucky lucky girl I am and am thankful for so much, I just want to improve certain aspects of my life that have been lacking. So here goes, I'm going to list some of the things I am most thankful for in my life. This is by no means a complete list, but I do want to give a shout out to all my peeps...keep raisin' the roof, so here goes.
I am so lucky to have two of the best parents in the world. I teach children all do who don't have anyone at home to care about them, who have already, at their young ages, lost parents, who have to be the adults at home- taking care of themselves, their siblings, and even their own parents. I am so lucky to have parents that love me and still look after me, even at 29 and a half years old. When I was a teenager my parents' involvement in my life drove me crazy- my mom was president of every group I participated in- but now I know she did it because she loved me and wanted to support what I was doing. Last night my mom couldn't get hold of me (my cell phone had died and was still in the car) and she drove all the way to my house to check on me. This may sound a little crazy, but being a single girl it really means a lot to have someone who will come to check on me if they think something is wrong. (I'm a little afraid of dying, no one noticing for weeks, and Grace eating me when she runs out of food!)
I am also luck to have some of the best friends in the entire world. My BFF Curtis and I have known each other since we were 3 years old. We met at Miss Patsy's Pre-School. We have a standing Saturday night date and I love him so much. He is kind, generous, funny, smart, talented, and I'm lucky to have him as my friend. My friend Nancy and I have been friends since middle school. She is so smart and talented and fun and nurturing and forgiving and I love being with her. I miss her so much now that she lives in Asheville. Heady is wonderful and so many things that I wish I was- creative, confident, funny- and we have so much in common- she shares my love for pop culture and reading. Marcy is such a great friend and has so many qualities that I really appreciate- she's one of the smartest people I've ever met, she's funny, witty, and kind. She's a Duke fan, but I guess that's forgivable. This is not, by any means, a complete list of my friends, and there are so many more that I am so thankful for that add so much to my life.
I am also lucky enough to know that my career is the only job in the world for me. I know for a fact that teaching is what I was put here on Earth to do. I love my students and no matter how much I complain about them or how crazy they make me (and they do make me crazy) deep down in my heart I love them. I love the age- it's such a neat one. They have such great personalities (most of them) and I am constantly learning things from them. I think I am a much more patient person because of them and also more understanding. But at the same time I've become quite a staunch proponent of personal responsibility and try to instill that in them.
I also have the greatest dog in the world. If I was a dog I would be Gracie and if she was a person she would be me: we're both fat, lazy, and just want someone to snuggle up to in bed. She is my doggie soul mate- the dog of my life- and I love her so much.
My apartment is great. It's small and faces the swamp, but it's cozy and I'm nearly finished decorating it. I've been here for just over two years and am really happy.
In short, I am a very blessed girl. I am so lucky to have so many positive things in my life and make a concerted effort to thank God for them everyday. I am hoping, through living my life, I can add even more positive things to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment