Wedding Countdown Ticker

Saturday, February 21, 2009

eHarmony?



I am almost 30 years old. I am single. I have never had a real boyfriend. I want to change that. I want to wake up on Sunday, July 12 (my 30th birthday) in the arms of a man that I love (or at least really really like), not staring at the dog's butt (you'd be surprised at how many mornings this is the sight that greets me when I open my eyes). This morning I subscribed to eHarmony. I've tried Match.com before, with little success, and want to try something new. Their prices are usually too high, but they had a sale (and I'm a sucker for a sale) so I decided to try it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. So far all of the men seem to be most proud of "keeping physically fit" which is admirable, but I have a sneaking suspicion that those aren't the guys that are going to find me appealing. And besides, I like a man who's a little chunky himself. Anyway, I've paid for three months. I guess if I get at least one decent date out of it it'll be worth it.
In preparation for meeting someone, I'm going to outline what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to limit it to just a few qualifications, as many of my friends (and my mother) think that my problem is that I'm too picky. (I, however, believe that I have suffered from a lack of decent choices and just because I'm fat and still single doesn't mean I have to settle for just any old loser. I would rather be alone than with someone I don't like or treats me like crap.)
1. I want a man who accepts me for who I am. Physically, I think this could be a challenge. I know that there are lots of guys who like big girls, but lets face it, there aren't as many of them. I am a big girl, but I also have a big heart to match.
2. I want a man with whom I share some interests. I'm not looking for a male version of me (Lord knows that would drive me insane) but I do want to find someone with whom I can share some things. The last guy I went on a date with didn't seem to share a single interest with me. We spent a couple hours talking "at" each other- neither seeming to really care what the other was saying since it was about something we weren't interested in. "I teach." "Oh yeah? I hated school." "I love UNC basketball." "I don't like sports." "I like to read." "I haven't read a book since my high school English teacher forced me to." What are we supposed to talk about? What will we do on a date that is more than just dinner? I need someone who shares some of my interests.
3. I want a man who is emotionally available. In the past I have been attracted to men who aren't able to or don't want to commit. This has been safe for me. I don't really have to risk anything if I know that it's not going anywhere from the very beginning. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to find a man who is actually ready and willing to start a relationship.
4. I want a man who is dependable. I want someone who calls when he says he will, who has time to spend getting to know me, who is honest and trustworthy. I've dated guys who are the exact opposite of this. I end up sitting at home wondering what I did wrong, what I could have possibly done to make them not call, blaming myself for them ignoring me. I can't do that anymore.
Well, there it is. What I'm looking for. I really belive that I have a lot to offer, and I'm hoping I can find the man who is looking for what I have. (By the way- if you have any single male friends who fit this description please send them my way!)

2 comments:

  1. I am going to restate that I do not think you are too picky! Just because *some* people we knew are married, its because they settled for those losers, and it doesn't mean you should or that you are too picky!! I means you have standards and a desire to be happy! I'd be willing to bet that those girls who settled are not half as happy as you are right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nancy! I have a friend who was on eHarmony for 2yrs before she met her match. They are now engaged after only 6mths and super happy! Stay picky and be patient. ;) I met my hubby on Match.com after meeting quite a few unsuitable ones first!
    ~Traci

    ReplyDelete