Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Make yourself happy


It seems like such a simple idea but it's so hard for so many of us. We have to make ourselves happy. We can't wait for someone else to do it. We have to find our own happiness and we have to find it however we can. It doesn't have to be big, extravagant, life changing stuff, it can be little stuff that happens to us everyday, we just have to recognize it when it happens and I think that's where most of us have a hard time: we are so caught up in all of the other crap in our lives that we don't pay attention to the little things in our life that can make us happy. Sit down, make a list, and pay attention to what makes your life worth living!
Here's my list:
1. Getting a haircut. It's such a small thing, but every time I walk out of the salon with a new haircut I feel so beautiful and confident.
2. Cuddling with my dog. I like to lie in bed and scratch her tummy while she sleeps and I watch tv- we both are happy then.
3. Finishing a good book. I love the sense of completion that comes with finishing a book that I enjoyed.
4. Starting a good book. It's beginning a new adventure, meeting new people, making new friends, it's so exciting.
5. Watching the Oscars. I love looking at the dresses and the handsome men in their tuxedos. I also secretly practice my own acceptance speech in the bathroom mirror...I'd like to thank my wonderful husband George Clooney...
6. Messages on Facebook from people I really like but never get to talk to. I love getting messages from people in my life who aren't in it nearly enough.
7. Clean sheets. I love the feeling of climbing into bed after changing the sheets. They're so cool and crisp and wonderful. It's such great sleeping.
8. Jello. I know it's silly, but a cup of jello with whip cream on top always makes me smile.
9. Seeing one of my students do something nice for another. It's really easy to only see the difficult students and forget that some of them truly are wonderful human beings. It always makes me happy to see one of them do something nice for another for no other reason than to do something nice.
10. Singing in the car. I love to sing loudly and badly in the car. It relaxes me on the way home form a stressful day at work. I don't subject anyone else to it, but it makes me smile.
This is just a small list of things that make me happy. There are so many more that it would take too long for me to write and you to read. Just take a few minutes and look around and find out what makes you happy. It's your life and you're the one who has to make it good!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with, well, all of these, but especially the clean sheets - there is not much better than getting into a clean bed. I don't know how normal that is though, Amy... there has got to be something that a therapist would say about that... :D

    ReplyDelete