Wedding Countdown Ticker

Saturday, February 28, 2009

How are you dealing with the recession?



I am very lucky to have not yet been severely impacted by the recession. That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not going to make changes to the way I live. When I started teaching just 8 short years ago teaching was a safe, steady job- who fires good teachers when there's a teacher shortage? Now it's entirely possible that my position (which is federally funded) will be cut at the end of the semester. That scares the shit out of me. Admittedly, I am not good with money. My recent weight loss and gain prompted me to buy two new wardrobes: one for the new skinny me and one for the new fat me. That has put me in quite a bit of credit card debt. I have, however, learned a valuable lesson. I have not used a credit card in over six months and do not intend to ever use one again. I am working now to pay off balances a little at a time and that takes quite a bite out of my budget. As a result, I thought I'd share some of the ways that I'm cutting small amounts out of my budget that lead to big savings when all added up and not drastically changing my lifestyle.
1. I buy generic. I have found very few generic products that aren't as good (or at least nearly as good) as the brand name and they're tons cheaper. I love Ben & Jerry's, but it's a little pricey on a budget. You can buy store brand that tastes quite similar and is half the price for twice as much ice cream. Who doesn't love twice as much ice cream? I have, however, found a few exceptions to this. I will NEVER again buy generic detergent. I got a rash that I will never forget. I also have stopped buying salon hair products but don't buy the bargain basement brands either- I stick to the middle- not as good as salon but not as bad on my hair as the generic.
2. I get my hair cut every two months now, not every six weeks. This may not sound like a big deal, but it saves me about $100 a year. Instead of 8 cuts I get 6 and it isn't really noticeable. (This suggestion actually came from my mom. Thanks Mama!)
3. Instead of going to the movies I watch movies on pay-per-view. (I know it isn't called this anymore but I still call the computer program used to look for library books the card catalog- what can I say? I'm an old fashioned girl.) Going to the movies can be pretty expensive- it's $9.50 at one of the local theaters now. Renting a movie from cable, however, only costs $3.99. This also saves on popcorn and drinks and we all know if you get snacks at the movies you can spend an entire month's grocery budget! And you can watch in your pjs. They frown on that at the movie theater.
4. I use coupons. I got one of those coupon books school kids are always selling. The thing has paid for itself. It only costs $25 and the coupon on the first page was for a free oil change- that alone costs $35. There are lots of coupons for half price dinners and even some free stuff. Check the money mailer that comes each month. There is lots of good stuff in there. The Sunday paper is also a really great source for coupons. You can also find discount codes if you're buying stuff on the internet. You can also print off coupons on the internet.
5. Buy used stuff and sell your old stuff. Take books that you aren't going to read again to a used book store. That's a great way to earn some extra cash. They also will frequently give you trade credit to buy books in their store. This is great if you love books like I do. They also usually sell movies and DVDs so you can get rid of the ones that you're never going to watch or listen to again. I do this every couple of months and the money you make really adds up (and cuts down on clutter in your house).
6. I keep the heat in my apartment pretty low. Some of my friends complain about this when they come over but I just toss them a blanket. Last month I saved $15 on my electric bill by turning down the heat. Do I get cold? Yes. But I just put on some fuzzy socks and wrap up in a blanket.
7. I'm trying really really really hard to eat out less. This has been the most difficult for me. It's so easy to run out and pick something up but it also adds up really quickly. It's my goal this week to eat out only on Saturday night. I've stocked up on groceries and am set. I have plenty of food in my house and am going to do my best to stick to this. This will also help me lose some weight and I need to do that too!
8. I pick out one miscellaneous expenditure each month. This month it's curtains for my bedroom. Next month it's going to the the Twilight movie. (I have an unnatural obsession with Robert Pattinson.) In the spring it'll probably be pedicures. Just like on a diet, if I completely deny myself everything I'll overspend. This way I am buying something I want but not going overboard with it.
These are just of few of the things I'm doing to try to ease the strain on my pocketbook. They've helped me and I hope they can help you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment