Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Literary characters I love...

Today on the NPR website I saw the article "Fictional Beings Bella Swan Should Fall Madly In Love With." This inspired me to make a list of fictional beings that I am completely, madly, utterly in love with. I don't love all of the characters on this list in the same way. Some, like Rhett Butler and Atticus Finch, I want to marry. Others I just want to protect. I think the mark of a good book/movie/TV show is caring about the characters and what happens to them. Here are some of the characters that I absolutely adore.
1. Rhett Butler: I have had a crazy mad crush on Rhett Bulter ever since the first time I saw Gone With the Wind when I was a child. Not only is Clark Gable possibly the sexiest man to ever live, but the character is also so wonderful. There is no way in the world that Scarlett deserves him but he loves her unconditionally anyway. I love Rhett in the movie and I love him even more in the book. In addition, he has one of the greatest lines in movie history: "You need to be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how." Yes, please.
2. Atticus Finch: Atticus Finch is a close second behind Rhett Butler. I'm not sure many people would agree with me, but I believe that Atticus and Rhett are similar in many ways. It's true that on the outside Rhett is a scoundrel, but when it comes right down to it he is a good man who does what is right. That's what I love most about Atticus Finch. He is kind and loving and wise and always does the right thing. I've often said that I hope one day to marry a cross between Rhett Butler and Atticus Finch. (If you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird shame on you. Stop reading this blog and go buy a copy as fast as you can and read it immediately.)
3. Edward Rochester: He's grouchy and set in his ways and hid his crazy first attic (I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read Jane Eyre.) but I love him anyway. He is a good man who is afraid to let others get close to him but once he does he loves them wholly.
4. Jay Gatsby: The Great Gatsby gets better every time I read it and I fall more in love with Jay Gatsby every time I do, too. He is blinded by love and makes terrible choices but he is persistent and willing to do anything for Daisy, even though she doesn't deserve him. (Do I see a pattern here?) He's one of my favorites, old sport.
5. Mr. Darcy: Who doesn't love him? He is madly in love with Elizabeth Bennet but can't show it. She loves him too and doesn't know it. (When did I slip into verse?) Like Edward Rochester, he's grumpy and difficult to get along with, but I love him. (Another pattern?)
All of these characters are wonderful and the books they are in are truly amazing reads. While I did enjoy reading the Twilight series and am on Team Edward, those books and that character can never live up to these truly great literary men. Now tell me, which fictional characters are you in love with?

No comments:

Post a Comment