Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, March 14, 2011

Where I'm From

While I was at NCCAT last year we did an activity in which we described where we were from in poem form. The idea came from a poem by George Ella Lyon. I thought I'd share where I'm from with you.

I am from buttons and the bag
of scraps and scissors that
cut in a jagged line and "you be
still while my stories are on."
I am from rolling pins and flour:
chicken pastry and apple jacks
that I got to make myself.
I am from the brier patch and Cabbage
Patch kids. From pink bows and
pink flowers by the pump house.
I am from falling asleep in the
swing waiting for mama and daddy.

I am from Sunday School, Bible School,
and Grandma's every Sunday. I am
from go play in the yard and
stay out of the field and
the rocks that hurt my feet. I am
from Ollie and Joe and scuppernongs
that might be ripe. I am from
Miss Patsy's and Miss Debbie's and a
gold star on my forehead if I
remember the magic word.

I am from Jem and the Rockers and
hot rollers. I am from a new red book
bag and bus steps that were too
big for my little legs that would
take me places I'd never been, but
would always bring me right back
where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment